Thursday, January 30, 2014

1 Peter 5:7-8a

"Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  Be self-controlled and alert."  
1 Peter 5:7-8a

During week 2 of the M2C study that I am doing,  1 Peter 5:7-8a was our power verse for the week.  When I read the word "anxiety" I knew this verse needed to be in my arsenal of heart verses. I fight off anxiety nearly every hour.  

I have anxiety over food.  Yes, I have major anxiety over my food.  What to eat, how to prepare it, where to get it, why I am eating it, when to eat it...you get the idea.  But I knew that God was dealing with more than just my food anxieties.  He wanted me to control my anxieties over my house, my children, my husband, my extended family, work, my clients, what I should say to someone and how my words will/are perceived, how my actions affect others, if others are mad at me...anxiety can control my life if I allow it.  

As I began to tick off these anxieties I was faced with a cold hard truth...they were all about ME.  Nothing I was anxious of was about God or His desires for me or His other children.  I was selfishly anxious.  For me, anxiety is a sin.  I am obsessing selfishly over myself.  I need to end my anxiety.     

According to the Webster Dictionary "anxiety" is defined as
"1
a :  painful or apprehensive uneasiness of mind usually over an impending or anticipated ill
b :  fearful concern or interest
c :  a cause of anxiety
2
:  an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physiological signs (as sweating, tension, and increased pulse), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it"
Oh boy do I see myself here, especially in the "self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it." portion.  I am plagued with self-doubt which is, of course, why I can obsess and worry over things.  Again, I am selfish.  After admitting I was selfish and asking for forgiveness, I knew I needed to get a handle on my self-doubt.  I had to release my self-doubts to God.  

If I began to not lean on Tory (get rid of the selfish control), but follow God's will for my life (give God control), I could begin to release my self-doubts.  I am beginning to feel some assurance this week as I release myself to God and ask for His power to complete my journeys.  

I am pretty sure that if He could create the entire universe He can help me complete whatever little task I have.   And that is the exact perspective I need to have right now.  My tasks are "little" when you compare them to what God has His hand in every second of every day.  I am charged with changing my attitudes, actions, and beliefs about food, and setting a good example of a healthy relationship  with food for my children to witness and learn from.  But when I say that aloud it doesn't feel so little.  Here's some hope and praise for God.  If I keep asking he will give me power.  I am talking, raising Jesus from the dead,  power.  (Eph 1:19-20)  I can totally conquer these selfish anxieties with THAT kind of power.  

Here is the Tory version of 1 Peter 5:7-8a.  

Tory, give God all, not some or a little and don't take it back, give all, of your fears, uneasinesses, apprehensions, doubts and self-doubt to God because He favors, adores, delights in, enjoys, covets, cherishes, treasures, values, notices, observes, and yes, CRAVES you, Tory.  Ask for God's power, the raising Jesus from the dead supernatural power that you have available to you if you ask Him and keep asking, and receive it, embody it, accept it, expect it, to control your actions, impulses, and emotions.  Pay close attention to the approaching danger and/or opportunities that are coming your way.  

Danger? What danger?  The second half of 1 Peter 5:8b tells us my "opponent the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion as he look for someone to devour."  

For me it is a "get control of your eating or be eaten by the devil" deal.  Or "give God your _______ or be eaten by the devil" as I deal with different situations and issues daily.  Personally, being swallowed by Satan doesn't sound like a fun time.  I guess that means I better get my behind in gear and get to becoming self-controlled.  Otherwise I will be delighting the devil and not my God.  

"Oh chocolate cake, you look so tasty."  
"Yeah, if you want to delight the devil it does."  

That definitely puts it in a new perspective.  

Father, thank you so much for revealing these truths to me in Your Word.  God, seal them in my heart and mind.  Keep them there, never to waiver, so I can live for You and not for the enemy.  Help me to gain self-control over my thoughts, actions, attitudes and emotions.  Give me Your supernatural power to choose Your way and not the enemy and the world's ways.  Help me to want to make the decisions that You desire.  Forgive my selfishness and anxieties.  Forgive that I was more concerned for myself than for You.  Help me to have a God-centered view and forget about myself and my desires.  I give my life to You and all that I do for Your glory.  Use it as You want for Your good.  Amen.    




1 comment:

  1. Very insightful and thought provoking post. Sounds like you are getting a God handle on your anxieties. Awesome!! Thanks very much for sharing. Blessings to you and your family!!

    Trish (OBS Blog Hop Team)

    ReplyDelete