Friday, September 18, 2015

Glenn R. Hickernell


Posted: Friday, September 18, 2015 6:00 am, Meadvilletribune.com
CONNEAUTVILLE — Glenn R. Hickernell, 73, of Conneautville, passed away Wednesday Sept. 16, 2015, at Meadville Medical Center. He was born in Meadville, March 30, 1942, to the late Jack and Elvira Peffer Hickernell. He married Kathy Swartz in 1974. She survives.
Shakespeare said the world was a stage, but to Glenn it was also a classroom. After graduating from Allegheny College he taught us for 39 years at Conneaut Valley High School. Mr. Hickernell was our English and photography teacher and drama director. Glenn was a leader in our churches. He directed us towards higher principles, family values and the priority of helping kids. He was our friend, guiding us how to change our darkest chapters into stories of value. Rocking in a lawn chair, sitting in a classroom or standing on a stage to reach just one child was just another day with Glenn.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by four children, Paul, his wife, Elise, and their children, Lucas, Aiden and Jackson Hickernell of Troy, Ohio, Christopher, his wife, Marjorie, and their children, Treten and Talon Hickernell, of Salem, Mass., Sarah Hickernell of Asheville, N.C., Kimberly and her husband, Aaron Cole, of Erie; a sister, Sally and her husband, Drew Overpeck, of Glendale Springs, N.C.; a brother, John and his wife, Mary Hickernell, of Kansas City, Mo.; and many nieces and nephews.
Glenn’s final curtain call will be at 2 p.m. Saturday at Valley Church United Methodist, 1118 Main St., Conneautville. Retired pastor and dear friend Bill Deets will be officiating. A gathering will follow the service for us to share our fondest moments and greatest memories with Glenn.
Memorial contributions in Glenn's name may be made to any charity of your choice.
Arrangements have been entrusted to the services of White-Cool Funeral Home, Conneautville.
Condolences can be left for the family by visiting white-coolfuneralhome.org.

The world has lost a beautiful man.  Mr. Hickernell was more than a teacher or a friend's father.  He was a gift from God.  He taught me to love photography, the theater, and myself.  He came along at a time when I didn't like myself all that much.  I placed my worth instead by which boys liked me and he, along with a few other influential people, helped to begin my process of learning to love myself.

He gave me a role in the a school theater production and I fell in love.  Under his direction I was able to become Medea, Anne Frank, and Amanda Wingfield (Glass Menagerie), among many others.

I memorized the famous speech given by Marc Antony in "Julius Caesar".
"Friends, Romans, and Countrymen lend me your ears."

I memorized Juliet's heart wrenching words in "Romeo and Juliet"
"O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name;
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I'll no longer be a Capulet."


It was because of Mr. Hickernell I feel in love with Shakespeare.  

He drove me and his son, Paul, for years to countless  Junior Achievement meetings.  He would take us to visit his parents where I would begin to understand who my friend, Paul,  came from.  He would speak to truth in me as an educator and a mentor.  When he saw that I was losing myself to boys and other things, he would kindly tell me to get myself together and start caring about myself.

But more important than all the education and experiences he gave me was that he showed me Jesus could look like a middle-aged man riding around in a Rascal scooter through the hallways of Conneaut Valley High School.  

Mr. Hickernell didn't preach to me.  I actually don't think he ever even said the name of Jesus to me in all the years I knew him.  What he did do was show me Jesus.  He displayed love, grace, discipline, acceptance, kindness and joy in every interaction I was a part of and witness to.    

I was blessed to observe him with his wife and children.  He was loving and yet a disciplinarian.  I remember one year he let, Christopher I think, put up "Not Christmas" lights because his children wanted lights on the house even though they did not celebrate the traditional Christmas.    

I remember his sacrifice of time for his children and support at their activities.

My sister and I were reminiscing about him today and she told me the story how he promised her and her friend that if they came to class everyday during the 2nd semester he would let them take his Rascal for a ride around the school running errands for him.  Sure enough they came to class everyday for the entire semester and on the last day he let them rip around the hallways on the Rascal.

He took an awkward teenage girl who didn't like her parents, didn't like herself, and gave her joy and self-confidence.  He gave me a sense of security.  He gave me a peak at what Jesus looks like through his interactions with me and others.

It couldn't have been easy to be him.  Some talked behind his back and teased him because of his weight.  He had to use a Rascal to get around and some laughed behind him.  But, just like Jesus, he returned their teasing with love and kindness.  He held his head high and taught by example, never expressing a word, how to live gracefully and joyfully in the midst of pain and ridicule. 

He never returned a harsh word to the hurtful words thrown at him.  There were people who said he and his family were in a cult because their practiced their Christian faith differently than most in our small town.  Never did I ever hear a single defensive word come out of his mouth.  Instead, I witnessed a man who held fast to his faith and led his family.  I never had a father who led his family like Jesus leads the Church ,but when I would imagine what that looked like I always envisioned how I witnessed Mr. Hickernell behave with his family.  

I am blessed for knowing him.

Mr. Hickernell, these are all things I should have told you before you went home to Jesus.  I am sorry I never did.  But I want your family to know that your legacy reached far beyond them.  Thank you for the memories and life lessons.  I know you are out of pain and healed in heaven and I hope you family finds comfort in that.  

Until I see you again.  

3 comments: