Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I'm Not Finished

Philippians 1:6
"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."


My husband, the youngest of 5 (4 boys and 1 girl),  tells a story of how his sister used to be in charge of the kitchen clean up after meals when they were growing up.  He recalls hollering to her that he wasn't finished with his meal as she would pick up his plate to wash it.  She would ignore him or tell him too bad because she was ready to clean up.  I love that story.  

One reason I love that story is because it reminds me that none of us are finished.  We aren't finished growing or learning.  We aren't finished dreaming (thus the rise from the ashes of this blog) or achieving.  We are creatures that are still "in process".  Honestly, it would behoove me more to remember that neither I, nor my children or husband, are finished and I should give grace accordingly.  

That is hard for me.  I have hugely high expectations for myself and all those around me.  I expect that while the rest of the world is still unfinished and making mistakes, that my people and I won't.  Certainly not us!  These high expectations cause deep hurt in my life. 

Time for some gut honest truth.  I can seem rigid, judgmental, and unforgiving.  Even more truth, sometimes I am those things.  Usually, I am those things because of my high expectations for others.  My high expectations can cause others to quit and give up because they will never be good enough for me.  Hear my heart, I am sorry.  I am sorry to those that I have made feel that way.  I am sorry that I have hurt you and caused you pain because of my expectations.  I apologize.  I could go on for paragraphs but the bottom line is I should never use those expectations to cut down, hurt and belittle others.  I am sorry.   

I have had friends tell me to just lower my expectations and I wouldn't be hurt and honestly, I wish I could.  I wish I could expect nothing out of anyone or myself but deep down I don't know that I really want that.  I think that sometimes high expectations have helped me experience God miracles.  Those high expectations help me realize that I can't do anything on my own.  They help me fall to my knees and cry out to God for his wisdom, grace and salvation.  Those high expectations have cleared me of myself and allowed God to enter and work because I know that there is no way on earth to achieve what I hope to achieve without God entering into my life and working his God miracles.  

I have imposed my high expectations on others because I want them to achieve greatness and see some God miracles in their lives too.  What I need to do is learn to even out those high expectations with good Biblical love.  I run into trouble when I don't invite God in and impose my expectations and not God's expectations.   His expectations are rooted in his word and truth.  They are for the good.   They always come with his help.  Which leads me to the last reason I love my husband's childhood story.   

It is a reminder of one of God's promises.  He will never leave us hollering that we aren't finished.  I leave people unfinished but he will always complete us.  One day all my high expectations for myself and my people will be completed in God's all knowing and perfect way because he will complete us, not me.  He is completing us.  He is making me and you whole as I type this.  One day we will be complete.  He will finish what he started in us.  Isn't that a beautiful thought?  To be finished, whole, complete.  God is working.  He never stops.  He started us, is working on us and through us, and will finish us!  Amen.   I am praising him and blessed just by thinking of this promise. 

I pray you find hope that you and your people are not finished.  God started a work and promises to complete it.  

Lord, thank you for your word and promises.  Thank you for finishing what you start.  Thank you for not being like me. and being God.  Thank you for never becoming distracted and losing interest in us.  Thank you for not using your expectations to hurt.  Thank you for loving us enough to complete us.  Lord, I ask that you grant us extra grace and love for ourselves and each other while you are doing your work in us.  Help us to remember that we are unfinished works and to love the in-process masterpieces of those around us.  It is only because of your son that we can be heard by you.  Thank you for Jesus, his sacrifice and his advocacy on our behalf.  It is in his name we pray, amen.    

BLOG NOTE:  
I have been gone too long.  I have allowed Satan to tell me this blog and it's contents are a waste of time.  Today I say no more.  No more!  I have had a desire to write since I was young and over the years that desire to has morphed into a desire to write devotionals and teach.  I have LOTS to learn and hone.  Please be patient with me.  I ask for your prayers to remain steadfast in God's will.  To be honest, I am filled with doubt and anxiety.  I appreciate your feedback so please give it.  Let me know, in kindness please, what your thoughts are about this blog and it's posts.  I look forward to hearing from you.  Here we go...again.  Thanks for sticking with me.    





3 comments: