Wednesday, January 29, 2014

"But God..."

"But I think a broom would would work better!"

"Would you please listen to me.  I know the best way to clean it up."

This was a conversation that I had today with my son.  He had spilled waxed from his wall warmer on his floor.  Although it was an accident I was being the worst mom ever and making him clean it up.  However, I wasn't making him clean it up all by himself.  I was trying to guide him to show him how to clean up the wax in the easiest, most effective way.  

He was not having it.  He had his own idea how to best clean it up and he wanted to do it his way.  I was getting so frustrated with him and just want to yell at him, "Shut up and do it MY way!!!!!!!!"  But I knew that would have been way out of line and unproductive.  So instead I explained why my way was the best and encouraged him to just try it.

Then it hit me.  This is how God must feel with me.  Time after time, God encourages me to do it His way.  He continues to guide me and explain to me how best to do things.  He never loses patience with me and always is beside me, never leaving me to do it myself, even though I made the mess.  All the while I am stamping my feet and saying, "But God, I want to do it MY way!!!"

Which leads me to another conversation I had with one of my children today.  

I made the best healthy version of chicken parm ever known to man with a delicious fresh salad...and she hated it.  UGH!!  I can't help to take it personal because I take some much time and effort cooking a healthy meal and she hates it.  Truly, she has her mother's tastebuds.  "It just doesn't taste good, " she says.   

As I hear things like, "But I am only a kid, why can't I have a treat?",  or "I got an A on my test! Can we celebrate with cake tonight?", or "Mommy, can I have some ice cream?  I am having a really bad day." my heart sinks.  Those are my words.  I taught her those associations with food.  I have helped my daughter begin an unhealthy relationship with food.  

Tonight I had to privately apologize to her for teaching her the beginnings of food issues.  I asked her to allow me to teach her how to eat correctly and use food as God designed for us.  We decided our family will begin to add, "Lord, please help us like the healthy food we are eating today.  Help change our tastebuds." to our meal prayers.  

And just like that I, again, had the realization of how the Lord feels towards me.  Although, He did not teach me to eat unhealthy or misuse food, He is graciously coming beside me and saying, "Let me help you learn how to eat and use food correctly."  I am so grateful God shows me in ways that I can recognize and learn from.  I am so blessed that my heart's eyes are opening to His truths and lessons.  

Father, forgive me for teaching my children unhealthy eating habits.  Lord, I pray you protect them from my food issues and allow them to have a healthy relationship with food.  Lord, help to change our tastebuds minds and want to eat healthy.  Change our hearts to be in line with Your plans and ways.  Thank you for loving me and guiding me with grace.  Thank you for all the progress I am making with Your strength and guidance.  You are the source of my victories.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.     

1 comment: